+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

What Voice

After class, I left unsatisfied. I've always placed large emphasis on my personal voice in writing. The class left me questioning that idea. What defines voice? Where does it come from? Who decides which voice belongs to what? Do I really have my own personal voice?

Originally, to me, voice embodied the individual expression of thought and ideas. But these concepts are continually tainted by societal pressures, personal choices, images, art, etc. Can voice be truely unique to the individual? I want to say yes, if only to assure myself of my individuality. The problem lies in the idea that voice remains intimately connected to style. The connection between the two raises another question; which should the young writer develop first, style or voice? How do students develop either concept?

In class, someone alluded to all the guidelines are to help students develop a voice. I don't think a person needs to participate in a formal educational setting to develop a voice. Writing is only one way to express the voice. Maybe I'm assuming too much by thinking that ideas can find voice through other mediums. Not all students are as interested and engaged in writing as us English majors are, and this needs to be recognized in the classroom and in the world as a whole.

Sorry, I know I've raised more questions than answers but I honestly can't answer these questions. Try as I might, my mind remains blank.


Posted by Megan Purcell at 12:54 PM 0 comments

Labels: What Voice?

No comments: