+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

How Schools Suppress Creativity

I've encountered this text before in another one of Shipka's classes. It brought some interesting questions to the table. It asks if the five paragraph essay suppresses creativity in students. I do think Lauren made her point, but I also think that she defeated her own purpose. The formula could be applied in different ways, as she demonstrates. Therefore suggesting the formula is adaptable and changable.

I approached these texts like I would my own writing, I read the comments made my the "teacher" first. The first text was not nearly as shocking as the second. The comments of the second text seemed so personal, attacking any and every choice the writer made. On the other hand, the first had comments that I received and have given in the past. The comments were formulaic. A machine could have graded that paper. But maybe that's the point the student was trying to make. Do teachers really help students by grading their papers using a formula. I chose to become an English major because Math happens to be my greatest fear, and now I have to learn formulas? At the same time, the second method is so harsh. I would want to never write again and possibly plot revenge against the teacher that wrote the comments.

The question, does this formula suppress creativity? I definitely think it can. If the teacher does not ask more of the student, then yes, creativity could be suppressed. But, if the teacher finds a way to challenge the student then creativity does not have to be suppressed. Maybe more interesting prompts or even just holding students accountable for the choices they make. The five paragraph essay does provide constraints, but it doesn't limit the student if the teacher doesn't allow that to happen. It also provides a compacted assessment of students.

This does not mean that I like the five paragraph essay, but I do think there is still a place for it in schools. I just think teachers need to push students to do more with it. Lauren's piece is a perfect example creativity working within the constraints of the formula. We just need to find a way to get more of this out of students.

No comments: