+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Sirc in the Box

Sirc in the Box?
I want to begin by saying that I love this piece. While Sirc’s ideas are nothing less than idealistic, he nonetheless gives us a focused goal. Sirc argues that we need to create/offer an environment/way for students to find ways of composing that challenge the norms. He bases his whole argument on composers like DuChamp who found a way of composing that still expressed meaning but challenged the traditional viewer. I don’t think he just asks us to emulate these types of compositions. I think he is asking us to look at composition differently, approach it from a different angle, not completely disregard traditional modes of composition.
The problem with approaching composition differently is not having the means to do it. Working in the traditional public school classroom teachers never have the funding they need to provide ideal materials for students. Not only that, but when do they have the time? This frustrating cycle makes me want to scream and I’m don’t have my own classroom yet.
So where does this leave us? Should we try to find a way to work with Sirc’s ideas? There are ways. Shipka provides living proof of this. But how do we incorporate it into a classroom with little or no room for idea play?. There are elective courses that could be made but that still isn’t the be all end all solution. So, what do we do?

No comments: