The description Connors gives of the shift from academic writing as impacted by the Greek oratory tradition to the student centered personal writing is not just uncomfortable for the teacher. As a student who doesn't ever like getting those assignments, I honestly don't think I'm the only one. The plus to writing in the academic tradition is that you don't have to bare yourself to a person who doesn't really know you. Your experience could be misconstrued, especially if you aren't a very good writer. But there are also advantages to focusing on personal writing. Inputting one's experience could help the reader relate and become more involved in the text. So where does that leave us? Absolutely nowhere.
Again, we face the question of academic versus personal writing and which is best for teaching composition. And once again, I don't think there is a clear answer. Academic writing has its pros and cons as does personal writing. I think separating the two remains impossible. There needs to be a combination of both. As much as I do not like inserting personal stories into my academic writing, the ability to write clearly about one's experiences is an important skill to have and can be incorporated into academic writing if need be. Even if this makes the teacher uncomfortable, in the grand scheme of life the ability to articulate ones experiences and synthesize them with academia could only help because it can add impassion the writing if done correctly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment