+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Bartholomae/Elbow

Bartholomae/Elbow

I strongly disagree with the idea that academic writing must free itself from style. As a matter of fact, I think any writing is inextricably linked to personal choice, which lends itself to personal style. As writers, the choices we make in writing are our own choices. We may mimic others, but we will never be able to truly write what another author writes because our lived experience colors the words. Any choice we make while writing, the rhetorical devices used, word choice, punctuation, transitions, paragraphs, etc, are governed by how the author internalized and makes understanding of their own experiences (this includes what they’ve read and written).

I do agree that academic writing requires more attention and adherence to institutional rules, but even these conventions can be broken. For example, the personal essay students write. It’s not just the idea that makes the essay personal, it’s the way the student expresses the idea. In class we talked about how students make up a personal essay. I’ll admit I’m one of those students. While other students feel comfortable expressing their life changing experiences to a teacher they hardly know, I’m not. But just because I may make up the content of the essay, I don’t think that makes it any less personal. I’m still writing the essay. I’m using my experience as a writer and observer to choose what goes on the page. My choices are still personal, therefore making my essay personal.

As I said before, the choices writers make while writing are personal. The presentation may be different, ie the personal essay, research paper, letter, to do list, creative non-fiction, etc, but the writing remains personal.

No comments: