On Berkenkotter's piece:
I think the author of this piece found a relatively good way to approach the study of someone's writing process. It is really wonderful that she was able to actually transcribe the process and break it down statistcally. I do agree with Josh's statement of there not being enough time allocated to the study. I also think that her observation about Mr. Murray making his biggest revisions when he turned his thoughts towards his audience. It shows the hypersentivity of the writer to mold his voice in a way that others can understand.
On Flynn's piece:
Really enjoyed this article. The day that we touched on this in class, I wanted to go more in-depth, but alas...there was no time. The included narratives were very helpful defining the line between male and female student writing. Introducing the texts Flynn describes the narratives saying "The narratives of the female students are stories of interaction, of connection, or of frustrated connection. The narratives of the make students are stories of achievement, of serparation, or of frustrated achievement." After reading this, I couldn't have agreed more. Thinking back to all the narratives (written or verbal) that i've heard from men and women, their focus or intended meaning would neatly fit in one of those boxes.
On Murray's piece:
I agree whole-heartedly with his thesis. Every experience a writer has colors experiences to follow. This knowledge and understand can really be seen in someone's writing. There are two quotes that I think sum up the entire article. Towards the end he writes, "We become what we write." This is imperative to any good writer. Living within the words you write gives them vibrancy no matter what genre you are writing in. Then at the end Murray says "That is the terrible, wonderful power of reading; the texts we create in our own minds while we read-or just after we read-become part of the life we believe we lived." Again this goes back to interalizing and making sense of our experiences. Everything we read becomes internalized and applied to the experiences we've had or stored to be applied to a later experience. All of these jumbled together makes us individual characters with specific traits that can be identified in our writing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment