+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Landmark Essays Ch 8, 9, 11

On Berthoff's piece:

The first time I read this article I didn't understand a word. It took a second reading before I grasped any point Berthoff tried to make. I got lost amongst doubles like "consciousness of consciousness." I do like how Berthoff advocates a multimodal approach to teaching composition. I too believe that form's importance is underrated to academic institutions. We've been taught to focus on developing a voice not form. I also like how she ends with "composing is a process of meaning making." The only way to understand how meaning is made is to analyze the process by which we visually internalize, imagine, then produce.

On Hairston's piece:

I really do agree the prediction of change, but i don't agree with editing being the best way to teach students writing. Addressing the first, we always seem to be on the cusp of change. The problem is always the inability to predict whether the change will be positive or negative. While our education systems have seen many advances in teaching practices and tools, there are foundational parts that are crumbling. Now to my disagreement with Hairston's claim that the best way to teach writing is through editing. Composition is not just about the words and grammatical marks on a page. Editing does not help a writer create ideas, it only helps make them accessible to the reader.

On Reither's Piece:

This article seemed like an echo...I've heard it from all the other process people we've read. I did like the the point about teaching students inquiry strategies because it is really important for secondary education students to learn these before going to college. Many students do not understand how to research or evaluate sources. The internet (the convenient crutch as I like to call it) provides students with copious amounts of information, but they don't understand how to use the information.

No comments: